Co-Op, Chemical Engineer, Carseland, AB
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
The purpose of this position is to support the Engineering team and Carseland site with technical assistance and engineering. Planned activities for the work term include working under the direction of a supervising engineer to complete the following:
- Design and execution of process related projects via the Management of Change system
- Reviewing, recommending, and designing solutions to process hazard assessment (PHA) follow-up items
- Providing process engineering support to capital project development and design
- Completing level appropriate engineering studies, calculations, and/or modeling and simulation of chemical processes
- Reviewing and updating process safety information and documentation such as P&IDs, Isometrics, Equipment Files, among others.
- Management of Change (MOC) Design, Execution, Closure Activities
- Reviewing, recommending, designing OHA follow-up items
- Providing engineering support to capital project design/development
- Miscellaneous chemical engineering calculations, operations support, simulation
Independence to Act & Decision-making:
- Works under the direction or a licensed professional engineer who takes responsibility for the work products.
- Within prescribed processes or as directed, completes basic technical reports/analysis/ transactions, by applying subject matter knowledge related to a materials or mechanical engineering usually associated with a professional engineer.
- Delivery of these services incorporates transactional advice.
- The job has considerable variety and is mentally challenging. It is not overly physical. Duties are anticipated to require some field time in an operating unit, and at times will required some climbing stairs, ladders and walking through plant operating areas
- Primarily an office/plant environment with no anticipated travel. Travel, if required will likely be by car to various sites in Alberta.
- Job requires the ability to provide creative and well thought out solutions to chemical/process engineering challenges, as assigned.
- Working toward a BSc in Chemical Engineering
- 2-3 work terms completed
- Must be able to climb stairs and ladders, sit for long periods of time, and perform many job duties remotely using phone and email.
- Engineering co-op student pursuing a degree in chemical engineering. Preference is for work terms 4 and 5
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, planning, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Ability to organize, coordinate and accomplish multiple tasks
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Knowledge in P&ID use and interpretation, piping flow and hydraulic calculations, pressure relief valve codes and standards, control valve design and simple instrumentation and control loop basics is an asset
- Experience working with API Pressure Relief standards is an asset
- Knowledge of pipe sizing and experience with piping design is an asset
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.