Vice President, Procurement, Saskatoon, SK (Preferred Location)
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 20,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career while earning a competitive salary and great benefits.
Reporting to the EVP & Chief Financial Officer this role provides direct leadership and implements procurement best practices across all of Nutrien’s business units (Retail, NPK, Corporate) and establishes and implements world-class procurement practices against significant annual spend. This role will drive best practices throughout the sourcing organization including analytical tools, negotiation preparation methodologies and sourcing execution practices, establish standards for and drive improvements in procurement data management drive spend analysis to better understand actual vs. forecasted savings and oversee supplier management/scorecard performance reporting processes. This role has a significant part in driving supplier diversity in line with the Strategic Inclusion plan.
- Establish the repository for and drive best practices throughout the Nutrien sourcing organization including analytical tools, negotiation preparation methodologies and sourcing execution practices.
- Socialize specific category management strategies with the business leaders to create awareness, improve alignment and to ensure effective business engagement and implementation.
- Lead the centralization and integration of procurement activities across Nutrien’s NPK and Corporate business units including logistics, distribution and raw materials procurement activities
- Supporting the Retail business unit, lead and manage a significant spend for indirect procurement
- Define and implement category and cross-category improvement initiatives in support of procurement goals through introducing and reinforcing best practices and Nutrien standard operating procedures.
- Create, maintain and rollout Nutrien’s procurement strategy and capability building plan in support of business unit targets and talent development objectives.
- Establish standards for and drive improvements in procurement data management.
- Develop annual performance objectives and savings targets by working with the NPK and Corporate business unit’s leadership teams to establish strategic performance objectives including the development of short-term and long-term estimates.
- Track and communicate the budgetary impact of strategic sourcing savings ideas and facilitate real-time monitoring, management and communication of internal purchasing performance regarding savings goals.
- Identify and report on critical synergy targets to achieve departmental key savings objectives.
- Work with key business unit leaders responsible for procurement, by understanding the business operations and building a relationship of joint direction for the procurement teams.
- Develop and manage supplier management/scorecard performance reporting processes - develop the infrastructure necessary to support collection and accessibility of supplier performance data across groups.
- Coordinate the collection of business unit specific supplier performance and provide supplier specific summaries to business unit stakeholders.
To strategically execute Nutrien’s operating model, areas of responsibility that are out-of-scope for this role include, direct procurement for the Retail business unit, and gas procurement.
Characteristics for Successful Performance:
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical procurement initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively communicate and present sourcing strategy to Executive Leadership
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
Required Professional Qualifications and Education:
The VP, Procurement has demonstrated advanced technical competence in procurement, possess visionary leadership skills, has a commitment to staff development and has significant experience in global sourcing solutions. The individual possesses a minimum of 15 years of public company senior leadership experience with a focus on supply chain/procurement operations.
- Collaborative and influential mindset combined with an absolute commitment to the achievement of deadlines is critical for success in this role.
- Certification from Institute for Supply Management (e.g., CPSM, CPSD) or CIPS is considered an asset.
- BA/BSc degree ideally in engineering, business or finance.
- A minimum of 15 years of sourcing experience with progressive responsibilities, including supplier negotiations, category management; of which at least 5 years of senior leadership experience.
- Experience working in or with large, multinational organizations considered to be leaders in procurement and sourcing.
- Experience leading large-scale procurement organizations in commodity/bulk chemical/heavy industrial industries.
- Successful track record working in centralized, matrix organizations.
- Successful track record leading change in procurement functions.
- Experience leading large projects in continuous improvement or transformation efforts.
- Successful track record in data analytics and financial analyses.
- Significant exposure to information systems, data analytics, and reports.
- Extremely knowledgeable about data management tools and software applications, e.g., Intranet, Extranet, Access, Microsoft Project, Excel.
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics
This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
To stay connected to us and for the latest job postings and news, follow us on: LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter