Chemical Maintenance Engineer, Aurora, NC
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
The Maintenance Engineer does not have any direct reports. This position will report directly to the Chemical Maintenance Superintendent and oversees the expenditure of approximately $10,000,000 of capital projects annually. Position is a senior staff specialist who is a recognized expert in the theories and principles of a professional field (Senior level operations Engineers/Technical Specialists responsible for leading projects, groups/teams etc.).
- Ensure all safety, environmental, productivity and quality targets are met for the mining related project(s) the incumbent is assigned to.
- Maintain knowledge of the assigned area, its equipment, operations, and inter-dependency with other chemical plant processes.
- Identify, plan and manage projects that will optimize the productivity of the chemical plant operations at Aurora. These activities must be accomplished while making sure that neither safety, nor the environment, is compromised.
- The incumbent ensures that the projects are completed in a cost-effective manner and on schedule. The equipment, functions, and methodologies in the Chemical Maintenance Department are to be reviewed for potential improvements and upgrades in technology. Projects that address increasing efficiency and throughput must be carefully planned, approved and managed while ensuring that all local, state and federal guidelines are observed.
- The incumbent must have good teaming skills that include development of agendas, organizing meetings, tracking progress and providing routine feedback to department, site and corporate leadership. These tasks must be done while providing engineering oversight and gaining input from other sources.
- The incumbent must be able to effectively communicate changes in operating parameters as well as dealing with new equipment and processes.
- Must understand the process for justification of major capital expenditures and return on investments.
- Prepare engineering reports in response to requests submitted by other departments. These reports may include: proposed project scope of work, technical and economic evaluations, system and component specifications, engineering sketches and drawings, project schedules and cost estimates, and safety and environmental impact evaluations/recommendations. Some engineering studies will be of a problem-solving nature, and may not result in a proposed capital project.
- Project management responsibility associated with capital projects, including design, specifications, preparation, purchase requisitions, bid analysis, direct construction activities, participate in start-up, direct contract engineering services, cost control, schedule control and reporting. Project design and construction must be consistent with regular and generally accepted engineering principles and with company reliability, safety, and environmental standards (both written and unwritten).
- Direct emergency maintenance jobs, as assigned.
- Functions as technical advisor to Operations and Maintenance.
- Incumbent initiates purchase requisitions for approved capital projects, selects contractors, equipment and materials; approves related invoices on purchase orders.
- Prepares project designs specifications/drawings, using engineering principles, standards, codes and experience.
- Plans, schedules, supervises/inspects and corrects deficiencies for design and construction activities related to approved projects. Incumbent has authority to make minor changes to project designs and/or installations using sound engineering principles.
- Influences decisions made by senior management in situations concerning capital projects.
- The Chemical Maintenance Engineer is accountable for the end results as listed:
- Technical recommendations within field of expertise.
- Efficient and safe system designs.
- Development of and adherence to project schedules and cost estimates.
- Project documentation.
- Quality control during project design, construction and start-up.
- Conduct all work in a professional manner with a legal and ethical obligation to protect the safety of employees, the environment, the community and the best interests of the company.
- Conveyance of new project technical and training information to the Operating and Maintenance departments.
- Must be able to simultaneously handle multiple projects in the office and troubleshoot problems in the field. Some problems can arise that are unforeseen, requiring resolution in a timely manner.
- Possess the ability to conceive, develop, and evaluate plans and criteria for solving a variety of unique and complex engineering problems.
- This position interacts regularly with all levels of management and supervision, therefore, daily communications, both written and verbal, with company employees at all levels is necessary in the problem-solving and status reporting components of this position.
- The skill to conduct well-organized and controlled meetings with peers and higher management is important for a person in this role within the company. Communication involves technical, financial and purchasing issues, in addition to the coordination of construction and project activities. Frequent communication with outside suppliers, engineering consultants and construction contractors is required within the scope of project management and problem-solving.
- Occasional contact may be required with regulatory agencies and the company corporate staff members. Good verbal and written communication skills are essential for the presentation of complex technical issues, alternatives, and recommendations to management.
- Must have good project management and organization skills as well as the ability to oversee a project to completion.
- Incumbent will be expected to be able to perform project oversight activities in the chemical plants. This position provides solutions to production and process problems through technical recommendations and cost-effective project management.
- From an engineering position, the incumbent would be required to investigate and evaluate possible solutions, estimate the costs, determine a schedule and recommend a solution based on technical merit, first cost and operating cost, safety and health considerations, and environmental impact. A project is expected to be successfully completed within established schedule and cost, with minimal guidance from superiors.
- Field construction problem-solving, to include: scheduling with Operations, Maintenance, Purchasing, Environmental, Safety and contractor forces to ensure that resources are available for shut-downs requiring continuous work effort, with optimum efficiency and solve unforeseen problems arising during a project effort.
- During emergency situations, the incumbent must be able to solve engineering, material substitution and scheduling problems, while maintaining an acceptable project cost and schedule.
Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering is required.
Minimum 2 years industrial plant maintenance and/or reliability engineering experience
1 to 2 years Vibration Analysis Experience or documented training,
1 to 2 years Lubrication program experience or documented training.
- Must pass a pre-employment exam and drug screening.
Seminars, meetings and continuing education in the field of expertise are required to maintain an up-to-date working knowledge.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.