Maintenance Apprentice, Aurora, NC
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
Incumbent will report to the Superintendent within assigned department.
This position is for a paid apprenticeship within the Maintenance Department. An incumbent in this position will work closely with trained/skilled employees in the assigned area and will support the department’s goals and initiatives. The daily responsibilities will be tailored to match the experience and skillset of the apprentice. Please see below for an overview of some of the key/primary tasks:
- Perform all work in a safe and controlled manner, adhering to safety and environmental policies.
- Work safely to prevent on-the-job injuries by following Nutrien, OSHA, MSHA and MARSEC guidelines.
- Uses proper Personal Protection Equipment such as: safety glasses, gloves, ear plugs, face shield, flash suits and personal environmental monitors.
- Works as part of a team to complete assignment and minimize down-time.
- Perform daily maintenance and overhauls on various types of equipment.
- Perform daily and routine preventative maintenance (PMs) on equipment.
- Repair various other types of static equipment, including heat exchangers, tanks, screws, elevators and boilers.
- Ability to perform in a high-performance culture.
- Work as a productive team member and support continuous improvement.
- Cross-training and working in all areas of the facility, as required.
- Performing work from elevated structures, ladders, scissor lifts, boom lifts and man-baskets.
- Complete mechanic progression training, as required and within timelines outlined by KFO.
- Possess a high-degree of integrity and ownership.
- Follows all safety rules and regulations as set forth by Company.
- Ability to excel in a team environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate (both verbal & non-verbal) with a diverse group of people.
- Must be able to work at heights, outdoors, and around potentially hazardous chemicals.
- Ability to read, understand and comply with standards, policies and procedures.
- Be a self-starter and work with little supervision; willing to work overtime, as required.
- Possess troubleshooting and analytical ability.
- Must be comfortable and physically capable of entering and working in a confined space.
- Must be able to hear and understand audible alarms, changes in noise levels of rotating equipment and portable radio communications.
- Must be familiar with Microsoft’s Office Suite.
- Must possess a minimum of Grade 12 education, or GED equivalent; post-secondary courses/training is preferred.
- The National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) testing is required for all hourly applicants of Nutrien. Applicants must complete this test and meet a minimum of 5 in Graphic Literacy, 5 on Applied Math and 4 on Workplace Documents in order to be considered eligible for employment with Nutrien.
- Must pass a pre-employment exam and drug screening.
- Have a solid understanding of maintenance practices and processes.
- Have experience operating mobile equipment, to include: forklifts, man lifts, carry deck cranes, etc.
- Possess basic computer skills and knowledge.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran