Superintendent SHE & Security, Geismar Louisiana
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
The position reports to the Safety and Security Manager. This position has one direct report a safety specialist.
- Responsible and accountable for the planning, developing, implementation, maintenance and management of all activities and elements of the plant SH policy, process and programs in compliance with and according to company policies and governmental regulations, OSHA 1910.119, Company policy, Industry Best Practice and assumes Leadership role in absence of Department Manager.
- Active in the field 60%
- Develops, administers all phases of SH program at the plant site.
- Assumes leadership role of SH Department in absence of the Department Manager.
- Supervise department personnel, manages site Safety activity and provide SH direction and advice as required.
- Monitoring and directs site safety process movement toward desired results and makes appropriate corrections.
- Evaluates existing programs, services, techniques, and procedures, & establishes methods for installation of changes & improvements.
- Coordinate all TapRooT Incident Investigation Process.
- Participate in incident investigations; assist in evaluation of root cause, in preparation of documentation, implementation of corrective action and close-out of investigation.
- Update and Maintain Safety Policies Guidance documentation, etc.
- Identify training needs and work with the Training Manager to create training curriculum, schedule classes, conduct training and documents accordingly.
- Provides technical expertise, assists and counsels all levels of management and employees regarding safety, health topics and concerns.
- Supports other Safety Department Functions, promotes and encourages active participation of all personnel in SH programs such as PotashCorp’s Exposure Based Safety program.
- Participate in safety audits, emergency teams, training, safety meetings, CEA’s, and the SPEAR process.
- Assist the department manager to develop and mentors staff.
- Supervises the development and coordination of emergency response procedures. Coordinates with local law enforcement officials on emergency planning.
- Coordinate and conduct drills in security and emergency response.
- Maintain a level of competence in the emergency response teams on site by insuring challenging training, special projects and insuring challenging training, special projects and insuring regulatory compliance within PSM/RMP on Emergency Response.
- Supervises the development and implementation of the Industrial Hygiene program. Ensures program meets applicable OSHA regulations.
- Fosters and promotes good working relationships with all local, state and government regulatory agencies as well as with various community groups. Serve as one of the primary contact with Agency management personnel.
- Work with all departments in the plant to create and maintain good working relationships to coordinate safety services for the plant customers.
- New hire on-boarding safety orientation processes.
- Supervisor Safety Specialist Position
- Education – Graduate from a recognized and accredited university, with a preference for a Bachelor of Science degree in a safety related field. Other degrees may be considered depending on post graduate work experience in the safety profession.
- Prefer a minimum of 5 years of direct related and progressively responsible experience in safety and health. These years of experience are the collection of experience in these two areas.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, organizational and planning skills, facilitation skills, computer skills and the ability to achieve results through others.
- Interacts with all levels of the local management staff members and employees in a professional manner
- Must provide a positive environment which promotes greater individual and team efforts.
- Must promote, maintain, and project an atmosphere of excellent business ethics, integrity and safety.
- Flexible, analytical and detailed oriented.
- Willingness to work extended hours, particularly during scheduled outages. Must be able to work nights and weekends as required during plant outages and emergencies.
- Willingness to participate on corporate teams and assist other locations (some travel required).
- Willingness to be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and willingness to participate in weekend and holiday coverage
It is preferred to have a balance of experience which may coincide with years of education. Also, some equivalency may be considered for operations time. Thus, education and experience equivalencies will be considered.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran