Director, IT Strategy, Calgary, AB, Loveland, CO, or Saskatoon, SK
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
Growth is a top priority for Nutrien and it doesn’t just apply to the nutrients we make or the size of our business. Nutrien’s Information Technology (IT) team is transforming how we deliver technology to the company; a leading global manufacturer of crop nutrients and retailer of agricultural inputs. We are on a journey to achieve IT excellence and are investing in our strategic planning capability.
Reporting to the Senior Director, IT Planning & Strategy, the Director of IT Strategy will oversee the daily operational activities, process improvement, delivery & support of strategic planning in IT. This role serves the IT Leadership Team which is accountable for delivering world-class IT services, support, and thought leadership to the Nutrien organization.
- Serves a lead role in supporting the IT organization to enable our business to achieve their objectives through the effective use of technology.
- Proactively serves as a “trusted advisor,” and focuses on strategic initiatives and plans, proactive, anticipatory and driving in nature and provides significant value to IT serving our business units.
- Responsible to oversee and guide IT strategy development and support delivery of the IT organization’s process improvement and strategic change initiatives.
- Facilitates short and long-range planning across the IT function, from all areas of Nutrien IT.
- Provides highly-valued strategic consulting level support and guidance through key IT initiatives with the IT Leadership Team.
- Proactively shares knowledge of risks and opportunities to build competitive advantage and improve efficiency and effectiveness of within IT and our business.
- Works with cross-functional IT teams to design, develop, and integrate IT processes and procedures into the IT Strategic direction and priorities.
- Ensures seamless execution of all strategic, process improvement and change management related activities across the IT organization by applying process improvement, change management methodologies, communication planning, organizational readiness assessment and stakeholder analyses.
- Facilitates the planning and execution of business changes using technology.
- Provides coaching and guidance to the IT leadership and management team on their roles in IT strategic planning and change initiatives.
Characteristics for Successful Performance:
- Understands the direction for IT services/systems and how they pertain to achieving business outcomes.
- Acts as a change agent to implement and manage best practices across the IT organization.
- Understands business direction and facilitates a business-driven strategic planning process to ensure IT is aligned with company objectives.
- Builds and cultivates mutually beneficial relationships with key stake holders representing a broad range of functions and levels; uses informal networks to get things done; builds strong external networks with people in the industry or profession.
- Deliver effective communications to IT leadership and the IT organization.
- Able to communicate at various levels from senior business stakeholders to technical subject matter experts in ensuring IT solutions deliver to meet business needs.
- Effective with creative solutioning and communication to influence others or facilitate resolution of a problem / business issue. Uses negotiation skills when appropriate.
- Provides technical/process expertise and guidance working towards common goal.
- Brings appropriate individuals together to accomplish business objectives; facilitates access to critical competencies; knows whom to call, whom to involve.
- Actively attends to and conveys understanding of the comments and questions of others; listens well in a group.
- Creates an environment encouraging the open exchange of information and viewpoints.
- Proactively shares timely updates and information with relevant parties.
- Applies self-management techniques to include: acting with integrity, demonstrating adaptability, setting personal development goals, and working efficiently.
- Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
- High energy, service-oriented person with highly developed interpersonal communication skills
- Experience working with multi-national teams
- Strong oral and written communication/presentation skills, effectively communicating technical issues.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently, or as part of a team
Required Professional Qualifications and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, business or other relevant field.
- 10 or more years of experience in Information Technology
- 5-8 years of experience in supporting strategic planning, business process and change management.
- Previous experience at leading a group of IT professionals and influencing others.
- Experience communicating with key stakeholders/vendors at senior levels of the organization
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.