Project Engineer, Geismar, LA
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
Reports to the Project Engineering Superintendent
This position with direction and consultation of Engineering management will initiate and coordinate goal-oriented Plant wide projects and work activities that will enhance productivity, energy recovery, process control, product quality, safety and or environmental compliance for related production areas consisting of three nitric acid plants, one urea plant and one UAN production unit, and one ammonia plant and two ammonium nitrate units, one phosphoric acid unit, one high quality phosphoric acid unit, one sulfuric unit , one Oleum unit and product storage areas to effectively and efficiently produce product that can be shipped on time, with-in Company and Customer specifications, within Industry Standards and with-in Regulatory Compliance.
- Works daily with Area Nitrogen & Phosphate Operations Managers and/or designees to accomplish plant objectives in the following priority areas of Safety, Environmental, Quality, Reliability, Production, Efficiency, Cost Reduction and Innovation.
- Accountable for project management and project engineering support for small to large projects to include but not limited to the following related activities: Project initiation and justification, Project scope and design, Supplier and vendor selection Project Construction Management, Project cost control and schedule compliance, Equipment/ process start-up.
- Management of multiple projects is routinely required.
- Apply technical expertise and strong project leadership to site and contract resources for project execution.
- Assist in the training of Operating and or Maintenance Technicians & other personnel for equipment installations, process changes. & other MOCs.
- Does Engineering calculation to include but not limited to; material and energy balances, flow and flow measurement calculation, sizing process equipment, basic compressor and pump calculation, heat exchanger performance and evaluations, pipe sizing controls.
- Assist in Process designs including equipment specifications, operating instructions, training, process P & ID’s and management of change.
- Assists production engineers in process trouble shooting efforts and advises on solutions.
- Familiar with various process optimization and process / project modeling computer software packages.
- Performs and/or initiates effective and timely engineering and technical studies to troubleshoot known plant problems, predict impending problems and to optimize plant operations as needed.
- Develops a Process Design Package for capital projects and, in some cases, may be the project manager for the capital project.
- Performs and/or contributes to thorough pre-star-up and process reviews. Hazard and Operability Studies (HAZOPs) and “What If” analyses on current operations and on proposed changes to plant equipment, processes and systems via the plant Process Safety Management of Change (MOC) process.
- Tracks and reports compressor/ turbine/pump/exchanger efficiencies, pressure drop surveys and catalyst evaluations.
- Performs and/or contributes to Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCFA) and incident investigations and completes assigned action items on schedule.
- Ensures that Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s), Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P & ID’s) are complete and up-to-date.
- Promotes and contributes to site Manufacturing Excellence and Operations Driven Reliability (ODR) processes.
- Identifies and facilitates implementation of production, reliability, efficiency and cost improvement opportunities.
- Performs special studies / projects as directed by the Engineering Manager.
- Support Project engineers with the development of job scopes and equipment definitions by reviewing capital projects for overall process impact and feasibility.
- Oversee specific material and equipment usage for best engineering practices.
- Review new technologies and attempt to apply them to local operations.
- Position provides active support and participates in the departmental safety and environmental programs.
- Position interfaces with all levels of plant personnel and Divisional Technical personnel.
- Assist the departmental Manager in the preparation of the departmental budgets, capital budgets, and individual project budgets.
- Position is familiar with various project modeling and optimization computer software packages.
- Performs engineering calculations to include but not limited to Materials & energy balances - Flow and Flow measurement calculations Basic Compressor & pump calculations - Sizing Process Equipment, Heat exchanger performance and evaluations, etc.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 5+ years project engineering experience in chemical manufacturing or related industries successfully meeting cost, schedule and functional requirements preferred in the fertilizer manufacturing areas or chemical process or related industry.
- Proficient in computer applications for data trending, tracking action item closure, procedure writing, etc.
- Ability to read and understand P&IDs, isometric piping drawings and instrumentation control loops.
- Strong and proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite and Engineering software, Trouble shooting, Process Safety Management, Process design/improvement.
- Climb stairs & ladders, work at heights, enter & work in confined space, pass respirator & fit test, hear and understand audible alarms.
- Candidate must communicate effectively, both verbal and written with superiors, colleagues, and individuals, both internally and externally.
- He/she must work effectively with others at any level internally and externally in building collaborative relationships.
- Candidate must possess strong judgment and problem solving skills and have a high level of initiative in working effectively on an independent and team basis.
- The individual must demonstrate strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Flexible and able to learn on the fly in an evolving continuous improvement team environment.
- Candidate must possess knowledge of PFDs, P&IDs and PSI systems.
- Willingness to participate on corporate teams and assist other locations (some travel required).
- Willingness to be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and willingness to work extended hours to ensure plant PSM and process need are supported.
- Candidate must possess proficiency in MS Office programs.
- Preferred additional knowledge in conducting and managing PSM software for PHAs and MOC tracking.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. In order to ensure consideration for this role, candidates are encouraged to apply by October 15, 2018. However, this job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran