Engineering Manager, Geismar, Louisiana
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
Position reports to the Facility General Manager
- Responsible for directing all engineering activities for both Process Engineering and Capital Project department at the Geismar site.
- The engineering manager ensures safety is the top priority in all aspects of engineering and construction.
- A strong understanding of environmental regulation and steps required for permitting of capital improvement and expansion projects.
- Coordinates/Oversees the Production Engineering Superintendent to ensure the daily operations for the units are being supported and unit efficient are being monitored for potential problems and process improvements.
- Ensuring that engineering contracts and costs are controlled.
- Responsible for having projects installed on time and within budget.
- Overseeing any other plant or company area of needs while complying with industry best practices, all regulatory requirements and Company.
- Manage all aspects of the PCS Geismar capital program. For the opportunity / expansion project this includes management of the gated approval process where first a concept is developed, then options are developed (in house our with external technology providers). The project is then managed against detailed cost estimate and schedules.
- Ensures AFEs are completed and submitted for in timely manual for project execution.
- Develops and manages the 5 Year Capital Project Budget program for the Geismar facility.
- Supervisors the Production Engineering Superintendent and workload.
- Coordinates management of outside engineering firms who are engaged in project activity.
- Oversee the design and implementation of capital projects to improve, modify or replace equipment.
- Ensures documentation control department is supporting project managers by formally issuing and receiving documents for review, electronically sharing documents with site with SharePoint and managing the flow of information between site and engineering companies.
- Ensure that projects are properly staffed with required talent and documented with org charts.
- Oversees the scheduling and establishment of short and long term project, and work activities priorities of departmental personnel to ensure optimum manpower utilization, compliance with project timetables, coordination with other site departments, and compliance with established Company and governmental safety and environmental policies and regulations
- Reviews and approves all plant modifications involving major process and equipment changes to ensure that all recommendations and modifications are technically and economically sound, complies with industry safety and environmental standards and efficiencies.
- Directs and reviews conceptual design and initiates studies to investigate modifications for improved yields, capacity, energy, efficiency, equipment performance and operating procedures and environmental standards.
- Responsible for liaison activities with Corporate and other site groups to provide technical support and provide facility engineering and maintenance technical information.
- Directs all site engineering department activities to ensure maintenance & engineering technical support is provided to the facility Nitrogen and Phosphate production areas, supplier & services integration in addition to any other plant area or company area of need.
- BS ChE (preferred) or ME, CE degree from accredited university or related maintenance experience.
- Proven management of major capital projects from conceptualization, basic engineering, detailed engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning and start up.
- Possess detailed knowledge of various technologies.
- At least 15 years experience in the fertilizer, chemical, petro-chemical or related continuous process operations. Knowledge of the Nitrogen and Phosphate chemical processes is desirable.
- This position is Salaried Exempt and not eligible for overtime.
- Able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of the chemical processes, mechanical equipment and understanding of best engineering practices to ensure a safe and desired outcome is achieved.
- Must be able to direct and supervise the process engineering staff dedicated to the operations unit along with the project management staff.
- Also requires effective communication and management skills.
- Team player experienced in working with at all levels from hourly construction to senior management.
- Work requires considerable mental application and ability to work under pressure.
- Willingness to work extended hours, particularly during scheduled outages.
- Willingness to participate on corporate teams and assist other locations (some travel required).
- Willingness to be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and willingness to participate in weekend and holiday coverage.
- Must be able to coordinate many simultaneous activities.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran