Buyer, Fort Saskatchewan, AB
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
Nutrien is building a world-class procurement function across our entire organization and operating sites. Nutrien’s Procurement Organization is a center-led/governed procurement operating model that enables a shift from a tactical procurement organization to one that is much more strategic in nature. The Procurement Organization structure is organized to (i) extract benefits from leveraging enterprise-wide spend and efficiencies associated with central and shared governance, processes, resources and infrastructure; and, (ii) continue to have the ability to execute on a geographically-dispersed basis to support the unique requirements of each of our Sites.
The Procurement Organization will include a “Center of Excellence” team to provide global procurement support services that provides accurate data analytics and effective back-office operations to support the global procurement function, as well as a “Category Management” team to develop and drive category strategies, perform sourcing activities, negotiate and execute master agreements and manage supplier performance.
In addition, the Procurement Organization will maintain site level procurement with increased cross-site consolidation and coordination of daily support work. At the “on-site” level this will require a greater degree of specialization within the Buyer role, both by categories served and degree of technical challenge.
Job function overview:
The Buyer will be a critical member of the “on-site” team, supporting site-level purchasing execution and cost management. Reporting to the Corporate and/or Site Procurement Lead, he/she will primarily support the daily requirements of procurement S2C and P2P processes such as RFP, purchase order and invoice processing, managing local and certain regional category procurement, managing local supplier relationships, and supporting site-level strategic efforts as the Procurement Business Partner to the Maintenance, Operations, Capital and Engineering organizations.
- Support site-level category strategy execution and cost management for operating and capital expenditures as applicable
- Fully utilize centrally developed Procurement Policy, aligned business processes and enabling systems, and the strategic procurement methodology and procedures
- Optimize purchasing within his/her area of responsibility for cost, delivery, and quality
- Demonstrate proficiency in category strategy
- Support Nutrien internal customers (“end users”) as the Procurement Business Partner
- Facilitate and support meeting the end users’ needs resulting from use of the center led strategic procurement process for sourcing and buying local goods and services as necessary, including providing appropriate and timely input to planning of day-to-day operating requirements and capital project needs; and assisting in RFx processes including developing proper scopes of work, evaluating bids, negotiation preparation and execution, completing and implementing local contracts
- Provide procurement specific support to local site-based end users to complete material requisitions correctly and completely
- Flawlessly execute the P2P process quickly and accurately to source required goods and services
- Reorder materials as needed based on specific requests within defined spend limits and at defined reorder points by using the procurement aligned business processes and supporting systems
- Provide leadership, coaching and mentoring to local procurement and warehouse team members (eg. Buyers I and II), as well as across all Procurement site locations
- Support and manage local supplier relationships
- Lead periodic performance, business, and financial reviews with local suppliers, based on agreed upon KPIs utilizing the center led procurement quarterly business review (QBR) model. Ensure that KPI data is accurate and regularly updated. Ensure that suppliers are informed of their performance results and appropriate resolutions are identified and executed (when needed)
- Process invoices in a timely manner following Nutrien procurement policy and procedures
- Address inquiries from suppliers and engage appropriate stakeholders as required
- Meet individual and department goals & objectives targets identified by management
- Perform additional tasks as defined by the Site Procurement Lead
- Approval/amendment of material requisitions, purchase orders, and invoices within limited parameters specified by site management and laid out in procurement policy documents
- Strong organizational, time management skills, and attention to detail
- Results-driven mindset, with developing capabilities in problem solving and analytical thinking
- Ability to work with a variety of internal customers and external suppliers with time sensitive demands
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with comfort working cross-functionally to gather information and resolve conflicts
- Team leadership skills capable of managing a small team process to meet defined objectives
- Strong understanding of moderate to complex contract language, with a strong attention to detail
- Interpersonal skills – Buyer will serve as front line point of contact with procurement customers (operations/maintenance)
- Communicate procurement requirements and policies to internal customers of increasing seniority and responsibility without procurement expertise
- Manages difficult situations with suppliers and other stakeholders; initiates action to bring conflicting parties together
- Communication Skills
- Ability to communicate data needs, deadlines, and process steps in direct and positive manner
- Able to follow directions written and oral with a high degree of precision
- Confident and articulate; produces clear, accurate, and logically structured documentation tailored to the audience
- Ability to establish credibility and rapport with key internal and external stakeholders
- Emerging track record of success leading engagements or other problem-solving initiatives requiring coordination of cross-function team members with varied backgrounds and skills
- Strategic Impact and Decisions
- Partner with subject matter experts to source suppliers for goods and services to achieve the best overall value.
- Business / Operational Impact and Decisions
- Provide procurement leadership support on project teams as required.
- Financial Impact and Decisions
- Support the Nutrien business strategy and culture.
- Capable of following standard work for supporting records management and processes specifically related to the procurement process and supplier monitoring with minimal support from manager
- Able to solve procurement process problems across areas of category responsibility requiring critical thinking beyond specified process guidelines
- Able to manage supplier relationships with local contractors and specialty providers with limited support from the Site Lead
- Tools and processes will be in place to provide support:
- Nutrien Procurement Policy and Procedures
- Contract tools & templates
- Spend Analytics & Reports
- P-card process standard work and guidelines
- Has freedom to negotiate supplier agreements, but contracts must be approved by supervisor or executive with signing authority
- Clear and solid understanding of, and practical experience with, enterprise asset management (maintenance, procurement, inventory management), spend management (e.g., Analysis & Reports) and enterprise resource planning systems and tools (SAP/Oracle)
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and other MS Office applications
- Minimum ~4 years relevant industry experience in procurement related function
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Certifications in disciplines such as Procurement (SCMP/CPSM), Inventory Management preferred
- Engineering or business - supply chain strongly preferred
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.