Operations Technician Trainee, Point Lisas, Trinidad
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
This position reports to the Operations Training Coordinator and after successful completions of the trsinee program, will report to the Plant Superintendent.
- Inspects, frequently, all equipment in his/her charge to determine the condition of equipment and reports it to the senior area operator.
- Starts, stops and adjusts equipment within approved guidelines and shuts down equipment as required to maintain proper operating conditions within specified area/areas under guidance from the senior area operator.
- Takes readings of various instruments as often as determined by Plant Supervision and records these readings in log sheets or log books and reports abnormal readings immediately to the senior area operator.
- Collects samples for laboratory analysis as set out in the sample schedule and performs simple laboratory tests as determined by plant supervision.
- Assists in startup and shutdown (both normal and emergency) of Plant under direction of senior operators and Shift Supervisor.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation and isolation of equipment for maintenance within specified area/areas in accordance with operations Process Safety Management procedures.
- Checks stock of lubricating oil and chemicals.
- Accompanies senior operator during the permitting and tool box meeting process, ensuring equipment is handed over safely and timely to maintenance personnel and contractors during routine maintenance and turnarounds.
- Assists in performing surveys and monitoring operating parameters and makes necessary changes as directed by senior operators.
- Conducts safety audits to ensure all safety equipment is functioning efficiently and effectively on Plant.
- Responds promptly to Plant emergencies to prevent injury to personnel or damage to the environment or equipment.
- Follows and participates in safety, health and environmental programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and analytical skills
- Ability to function independently with little or no supervision when skill demonstrations are required.
- Ability to multi-task during classroom/shift assignments.
- Ability to use one’s initiative and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to do research and present procedures for assigned projects.
- Ability to function effectively within a group/team environment.
- Ability to understand plant chemistry e.g.: catalytic reactions, boiler chemistry, water treatment and gas analysis.
- Ability to function efficiently under abnormal conditions of weather, noise, heat and physical activity.
- Ability to climb heights in excess of 100ft and lift objects in excess of 50 lbs.
- Competence in Microsoft Office suite of programs
- Process plant Operator diploma/ Chemical Engineering Technology from a recognize institution OR,
- Minimum of five (5) CXC CSEC O’ Levels including Math’s, English and Chemistry.
- Successful completion of In-House Training Program.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. In order to ensure consideration for this role, candidates are encouraged to apply by September 7, 2018. However, this job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran