SH&E Manager, Central Coast of California
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
This position reports to the Safety, Health, & Environment Senior Manager for the Central Coast of California US Region, and requires that the successful candidate live within the described geography, ideally in the Central Coast of California. This position requires up to 65% travel within the Central Coast Division of California territory.
- Regulatory Management
- Identify EHS, OSHA, EPA, DOT and DHS regulations applicable to materials and processes at facilities and assist in understanding EHS, OSHA, EPA, DOT and DHS regulations, standards and programs
- Conduct company EHS compliance audits
- Prepare and lead training meetings and train-the-trainer sessions
- Assist facilities during interaction with regulatory agencies
- Keep apprised of federal, state and regional laws and regulations affecting facilities and maintain working relationships with regulatory agencies
- Investigate incidents such as injuries, vehicle accidents and property damage
- Determine root cause of incidents and oversee preparation of corrective action plans for each incident
- Ensure timely notification is made to regulatory agencies and company management for incidents
- Monitor facilities for unsafe work practices and unsafe work conditions and support Near Miss Reporting at facilities
- Respond and coordinate spill response efforts
- Evaluate operational practices at locations for environmental risk
- Evaluate proposed acquisitions and divestitures for safety and environmental risk
- Assist the facility and Division management on construction projects
- Assure preparation, submittal and maintenance of RMP/PSM plans, SARA Tier II and Pesticide Production Reports
- Assist facilities on waste management issues
DOT and Fleet Safety
- Assist facilities in implementing DOT and fleet safety programs such as driver qualification files and defensive driving training
- Must be self–motivated and disciplined requiring little to no direct supervision, ability to concurrently deal with multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- High school diploma required
- Bachelor's degree in safety, environmental science or related field preferred
- Professional certification (in safety or environmental field) preferred; any applicant hired will be expected to obtain a Professional Certification in Safety
- Knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations including (but not limited) to OSHA, PSM, EPA, RMP, DHS, State Dept. of Agriculture, State environmental and DOT agencies; minimum of 5 years work experience
- Must be able to travel up to 65% of the time, with overnight travel approximately 40% of the time
- Must be able to lift 25 – 50 lbs., occasionally lift 51 to greater than 75 lbs.
- Must be able to work outdoors in a wide range of temperatures and weather conditions
- Must be able to be certified by a physician to wear a respirator and wear personal protective equipment
- Must be able to operate in a drug-free workplace and possess a US driver’s license
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran