Manager, Tax Compliance & Research - Northbrook, IL
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
The Manager, Tax Compliance & Research will report directly to the Sr. Manager, US Tax. This role will oversee the responsibilities for Federal and State & Local tax compliance, tax planning, provisions, quarterly estimated payments, allocation and apportionment, tax research, and tax projects of their respective assigned legal entities. The position reviews returns as prepared by the Tax Accountants. The position assists in answering queries and gathering information (including documenting tax positions) associated with statutory audits, appeals, or other government hearings/proceedings. This position must assist the Sr. Manager, US Tax in teaching and mentoring the Tax Accountants to aid in their career growth. The individual will also assist the Senior Tax Managers on any required federal or state/local project.
- Completes or reviews all federal tax returns for all assigned entities. (Assignment of entities determined by Sr. Manager, US Tax). This process involves determining all book-tax differences, understanding their entities’ business and accounting practices, knowing the current tax laws, and researching and documenting tax positions on their assigned entities.
- Produces or reviews all state and local tax returns for all assigned entities. These returns would include all allocation and apportionment calculations, income tax, franchise tax, sales & use tax, property tax, mine severance tax, tonnage tax, excise taxes, transfer taxes, net worth tax, intangibles tax, pollution tax, and all other taxes.
- Prepares or reviews all quarterly federal and state estimated payments for respective legal entities.
- Supports the Sr. Director, US Tax and Sr. Manager, US Tax on all federal, state and local statutory audits which includes gathering information, addressing various correspondence (notices), answering Information Requests and queries, etc.
- Assists in all federal and state and local tax queries and research projects as required or requested from Managers, Plant Controllers/ Accountants or other Departments.
- Finishes or reviews all tax provisions, forecasts and budgets. Prepares or reviews all required documentation for tax footnotes, management reports, and audits.
- Reviews assigned tax accounts for completeness and accuracy each quarter.
- Maintains intercompany accounts and transactions to ensure journal entries match our legal agreements and contracts.
- Researches and documents any material Federal and State & Local tax positions taken on returns or in provision calculations for assigned entities.
- Researches and advises on US tax issues and tax legislation impacting the Company.
- Promotes and creates federal and state and local tax planning ideas within US Tax Department to accomplish specific Department metrics.
- Assists in ensuring all SOx controls for assigned areas are met and documented.
- Performs periodic internal audits on plant sites to test tax controls and procedures relating to property tax under the direction of Sr. Manager, US Tax.
- Helps other Departments with miscellaneous tax issues, including Form 1099/1042, Payroll, Employee Benefits, etc.
- Aids the Senior Tax Managers on any required duties.
- Works with external consultants with regards to research projects and compliance issues.
- Complies with all Company standards, policies and procedures pertaining to appropriate conduct for employees, including the Statement of Core Values and Code of Business Conduct; the Respect in the Workplace Policy; Safety, Health and Environment Policies; and any other applicable standards, policies and procedures as implemented and/or revised by the Company or by legislation.
- Assists the Sr. Manager, US Tax and Sr. Manager, Income Tax Accounting in teaching and mentoring the Tax Accountants to aid in their career growth.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The individual must take the lead to accomplish the task or project and be accountable in taking the initiative of meeting internal and statutory deadlines.
NOTE: Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
- Insource CS, RIA Tax Research, BNA Fixed Assets, and Oracle or SAP experience. Exceptional analytical acumen with the capacity to identify, scope and solve complex problems. Strong critical thinking ability. Excellent interpersonal, problem solving and organizational skills. Demonstrated sense of urgency and a strong commitment to achieving deadlines. Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to work in a multi-tasking, deadline-oriented team environment, and interface with various levels of management and leadership. Detail oriented. Curious and proactive with an affinity for working in a collaborative, supportive team environment. Ability to work in an ambiguous environment, adapting to changes in schedule and direction as needed. Positive team player.
- Should possess an Accounting or Legal designation and a minimum of seven years of corporate tax experience with a corporation, public accounting firm or law office. Strong computer skills required including Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word. Require a solid working knowledge and the ability to incorporate current tax laws and regulations will be required.
- The position requires an individual that has a CPA certification and/or Master’s Degree in Taxation/Accounting
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran