Director, International and Technical Accounting, Loveland, CO
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
Reporting to the Vice President, Retail Finance, the Director, International and Technical Accounting provides financial and strategic financial leadership for Nutrien Ag Solutions, the Retail Strategic Business Unit of Nutrien. This position will be a key member in the Retail Finance organization.
This position will be located in Loveland, Colorado and will provide financial and accounting leadership in a complex, global company of significant scale. This position will have exposure to businesses with some or all the following characteristics: capital intensive, cyclical, commodity-oriented, business-to-business, requiring collaboration and then executing strategic initiatives within Nutrien’s global Finance network.
The Director, International and Technical Accounting will be responsible for the South American Finance group as well as provide guidance for the propriety of accounting issues in Australia. Additionally, this role will be responsible for due diligence, purchase accounting, and integration issues associated with acquisitions and other technical accounting matters.
- Oversee the development and implementation of new processes and global policies that drive standardization and harmonization across the entire Company.
- Coordinate monthly consolidation of the results of the International operations into the Retail financials.
- Actively participate in M&A/Corporate Development activity including acquisition evaluation, due diligence, integration, and divestiture accounting.
- Provide strategic vision and leadership for technical accounting initiatives as well as financial issues related to related to due diligence and acquisition integration
- Review and approve material one-off transactions and significant accounting impacting the consolidated results, and support global projects in these areas.
- Create and administer training for US and global teams, including finance/accounting teams of recently acquired entities on effective internal control procedures, internal control documentation, IFRS accounting standards, and relevant company accounting policies.
- Function as a business partner and trusted advisor within a matrix environment with multiple stakeholders and partner with business leadership to determine the information needs that best serve the Company’s internal and external customers.
- Collaborate with leaders across Nutrien’s Corporate group in matters related to accounting and financial reporting.
- Participate in strategic organizational initiatives requiring a high degree of competence, creativity and confidentiality.
- Ensure that overseas financials management regulations are followed, and that the overseas locations are adequately prepared for audit by both US entities and the host country of operation.
- Review and approve material one-off transactions and significant accounting impacting the consolidated results and support global projects in these areas.
- Experience with international accounting, procurement, and treasury management preferably in a multi-location, home office/subsidiary environment.
- Knowledge of IFRS accounting standards.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively communicate and present financial results and/or strategy to Senior Management and external Audit, Tax, and Advisory service partners.
- Superior leadership skills; ability to influence and engage indirect reports and peers.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Proven ability working in a matrix environment to reduce typical business information silos in order to increase cooperation and communication and work more effectively across business regions and functions.
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to financial team members and peers with diverse levels of expertise.
- Knowledge of agriculture, retail, and chemical markets.
- Knowledge and understanding of financial processes such as SOX.
- Knowledge and understanding of managing multiple currencies.
- Understanding of business processes and process improvement methodologies and transformation.
- Advanced degree in finance or accounting; MBA and/or CPA strongly preferred
- Minimum of 10 to 15 years of work experience with an accelerated career growth path in a global senior financial management positions.
- A strong background in operational finance and controls with a leadership role in reporting financial results
- Experience with large ERP systems (SAP/BPC preferred, but not imperative) and advanced Excel skills
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese are preferred.
- Ability to travel and work flexible hours to support international operations, M&A growth strategy, and key regulatory reporting deadlines
- Experienced in a fast growth environment, providing strategic direction from a financial and operational standpoint.
- Experienced with problem solving in complex projects that have a company-wide impact
- Ability to analyze financial statements and make strategic and operational/actionable recommendations to improve financial/operational results.
- Ability to develop, implement and manage change effectively.
- Experience with international markets and functions.
- Highly motivated and able to lead and inspire a team
- Manage efficient, effective and functionally integrated financial processes
- Strong verbal and written communication skills - ability to effectively interact with and influence individuals in different disciplines and at different levels
- Ability to present/communicate to cross-functional senior management and executive leadership
- Generate insightful and significant business analysis
- Possess a strong ability to develop relationships
- Able to work collaboratively across multiple functions
- Ability to balance the requirements of the Corporate office and the SBU.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran