Manager, Procurement, Allan, SK
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
Nutrien has implemented a center-led, site enabled procurement operating model to enable a best-in-class supply chain organization. We have organized ourselves to (i) extract benefits from leveraging enterprise-wide spend and efficiencies associated with central and shared processes, resources and infrastructure; and, (ii) continue to execute on a geographically-dispersed basis to support the unique requirements of each of our operating sites.
Pursuant to this operating model, the Company’s impactable spend is identified and managed in collaboration between the center-led Category Management, NPK sites, and Retail procurement teams, generally addressed as: (i) Indirect spend (“Indirects”): maintenance, repair and operations goods and services; and capital; (ii) Direct spend (“Directs”): certain major raw materials (excluding Retail); and, (iii) corporate services. This model also includes a “Center of Excellence” team, to provide support and best in class governance, tools, templates, systems, supplier relationship management, and data.
Through collaboration with the center-led procurement teams, site procurement will continue identify and capitalize on increased cross-site consolidation and coordination of strategic sourcing initiatives and optimization of daily support work. At the “on-site” level this requires a greater degree of sourcing expertise and strategic mind-set within the Manager and Buyer roles, which must consider categories served, short and longer term business plans, risks, interests and concerns, as well as the required thoughtful, strategic approach to planning and delivering value to the company.
The site procurement team is aligned under the Director, Procurement – Potash, to ensure alignment of strategic sourcing goals, primarily including responsibility for aligned operating site/Nutrient execution/application of center-led Procurement strategies, policies, procedures, coaching/mentoring, and global/regional contracts; as well as consistent development, execution and performance measurement of/for annual site Procurement operating plans, local and certain regional spend category management, site Procurement team and certain end-user talent development (eg. proper Scope of Work development, negotiation training, etc), facilitation of excellent end-user partnerships and problem solving, and on-the-ground supplier performance and innovation.
Job Function Overview:
- Reporting to the Director, Procurement – Potash, and on a dotted line basis to the General Manager - Allan, the Manager, Procurement - Allan oversees the site procurement organization, including appropriate/optimal structure and talent recruitment and retention within it. He/she is responsible for planning and execution of site/line goods and services procurement and strategic cost management, including responsibility for executing site (“local”) spend category strategy, warehousing and inventory management and optimization, and overall procurement service delivery. Given the dual reporting relationship – strategy, governance, processes, procedures, procurement management infrastructure and global category management set at the center, with execution of local service delivery and spend management to meet site/end-user needs – considerable ongoing collaboration and interaction will necessarily occur between the site management team and the corporate center-led teams.
- This position will oversee total annual site operating and capital spend ranging from ~$50M to ~$500M, depending on operating site/nutrient.
- In close coordination with the central Procurement organization, manage site-level category strategy execution and cost management
- Translate category strategy into operational tactics in order to build the organizational support and infrastructure needed to achieve them,
- Manage site-level budget and track performance vs. plan based on annual plan set by the Director, Procurement - Potash, and
- Establish both short and long term site-level goals in the areas of quality, cost and service for each discipline that can be tracked routinely and allows for required adjustments to action steps.
- Support internal site customers
- Drive achievement of General Manager goals/targets as they relate to strategic cost management and supply chain optimization
- Exchange information with and help local site-based end users to achieve improved supply conditions and meet strategic objectives, and
- Guide the identification of proper and justifiable reorder points and reorder quantities to maintain optimal working capital levels to support the needs of Maintenance and Operations.
- Manage supplier relationships;
- Set up local and regional supplier relationships,
- Ensure local distributors of global and regional suppliers (global/regional categories/contracts handed over) are meeting site service needs and driving TCO/lifecycle cost reduction objectives, and
- Lead regular performance, business, and financial reviews with local suppliers. Ensure that data is accurate and maintained in a timely manner for a supplier Ensure that suppliers are informed of their scorecard results and that appropriate actions are completed.
- Manage site Procurement team
- Ensure buyer/end user compliance with Nutrien policies, procedures and internal controls, and
- Coach and support the development of site procurement personnel and act as a role model to the team. Evaluate (and enhance as necessary) Nutrien’s site procurement talent profile.
Required Industry Experience
- 8-10 years relevant industry and leadership experience that includes progressive strategic sourcing, category/commodity management, supply chain management and/or relevant experience in applied engineering and business management in applicable operating environments.
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA/Master’s degree (or equivalent) preferred.
- Certifications in disciplines such as Procurement, Inventory Management, Lean / Six Sigma, or Operational Planning preferred.
- Business, Engineering, Supply Chain Management, Finance or related field
Knowledge Areas and Competencies
- Proven tool kit of strategic procurement/supply chain management tools, methodologies and techniques
- Comprehensive background in leadership (and execution) positions in strategic procurement and supply chain disciplines.
- Accomplished track record in operations management, demand management, market analysis, strategic sourcing, category/commodity management, complex contract negotiations and supplier relationship/performance management.
- Demonstrated experience in procurement transformation and change within an operating site setting; setting procurement/supply chain strategy in an operating site environment; driving performance; consistently producing superior results in a team-based collaborative environment; and working with dynamic, diverse, cross-functional teams.
- Ability to collaboratively lead teams in holistic business based situation analysis, solution generation and action steps.
- Ability to think strategically with confidence and speed in execution.
- Strong organizational, project management, time management, and people management skills.
- Superior problem solving and analytical skills, adaptability/flexibility and the ability to develop innovative concepts, techniques and effectively generate recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with all levels of management and staff; exceptional written communication, oral presentation and influencing skills.
- Ability to collaborate with internal departments, seek common ground and establish alignment on common goals.
- Motivated, high-energy and self-starter business mindset; proven change agent with excellent facilitation skills.
- Hands-on; no reservation to roll-up sleeves and perform out of scope duties to get the job done.
Human Relations Skills:
Strong interpersonal relationship and communication skills are critical to meet site objectives.
- Exceptional sourcing management/team leadership skills – track record of success leading engagements or other problem-solving initiatives requiring coordination of cross-functional team members with varied backgrounds and skills. Must foster a developmental environment, motivate people, and create a high performance ethic amongst operating site procurement team members. Must guide several significant initiatives simultaneously, acting as a coach, mentor, and leader for all team members.
- Carry out site and company procurement vision, strategy, policy and best practices.
- Provide purpose, direction and motivation to team.
- Clarify and communicate project objectives, success criteria, and impact to business.
- Create a positive, collaborative working environment for the team.
- Capable of making difficult decisions and communicating them effectively.
- Management of key operating and capital spend, and vendor relationships.
- Remove roadblocks to Procurement success.
- Ensure the organization celebrates successful completion of spend management milestones, while identifying and learning from mistakes or problems.
- Strategic thought leadership – demonstrated ability to think strategically and to act as a thought partner with teammates, site leadership and senior managers is critically important. Master at synthesizing apparently unrelated ideas to identify the optimal solution or to develop a coherent plan or vision. Must capture this vision through exceptional tactical execution.
- Superior analytical skills – strong track record of successful analytical decision-making. Superior quantitative and analytical capabilities, and the ability to translate analysis into tactics and results.
- Proactively recognize needs, anticipate outcomes and consequences of different approaches and modify action plans to achieve desired outcomes.
- Able to apply independent judgment to complex situations. Able to recognize problems, use analysis and logic to determine causes and determine and implement solutions.
Accountability- Impact and Magnitude:
Procurement Manager has a direct budget responsibility and will manage site/nutrient-level budget(s), including capital spend.
Authority - Freedom to Act:
- Site category strategy implementation and annual budget management. The Manager, Procurement - Allan is responsible to for the optimization of total site purchasing spend and for achieving targeted savings (such targets agreed to by the Director, Procurement - Potash in advance) identified in category strategy plans.
- Site local and preferred supplier management. The position will have the freedom to negotiate any and all supplier agreements in the best interests of the Company (but may only personally bind the company according to pre-approved authorization levels set out in Nutrien’s policy documents; all contracts in excess of this signing authority must be executed by the appropriate Company executive).
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. In order to ensure consideration for this role, candidates are encouraged to apply by August 03, 2018. However, this job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.