Director, Potash Safety & Health | Saskatoon, SK
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
This position is responsible for leading the Potash Safety & Health group, reporting to the Vice President, SH&E. Located in Saskatoon, SK, this role participates in the central SH&E leadership team and provides oversight on all aspects of Safety & Health for Potash operations.
This position will have accountability for working collaboratively with the central SH&E team, the Potash Operations/Engineering Management team; as well as the site SH&E leaders from the various locations within the Potash group. This collaboration will be to develop, implement and maintain SH&E strategies, policies and procedures that reflect both internal and external best practices and continually builds on the company’s existing practices to improve SH&E performance to new levels.
- Oversee and contribute to the development, implementation and ongoing administration of SH&E strategies, programs and processes, safety leadership initiatives, including the Company’s SH&E Management System, safety, product stewardship, SH&E data collection and reporting and central SH&E audit functions;
- Lead the development, implementation and interpretation of central policies, standards and practices;
- Oversee progress on strategic initiatives and corresponding reporting, as well as relevant legal and regulatory compliance and reporting;
- Provide expertise, consultation and support to leaders and others regarding expansions, new projects, due diligence activities, remediation and incident/accident investigations;
- Stay abreast of industry best practice technologies as well as regulatory changes and trends;
- Represent Nutrien in local, regional, provincial/state and federal industry associations and government agencies and establish and maintain positive and productive community, industry and political relations;
- Participate in meetings and strategic initiatives, as a member of the SH&E leadership team;
- Lead and/or participate in hiring, performance management and development of SH&E personnel within the team;
- Lead various governance teams with representatives from across the organization on SH&E matters;
- Act as a change agent and lead the evolution of organizational culture.
- Proven leadership experience, including management of multiple direct reports and influencing others within a matrix organization;
- Strategic capability, with experience building world class SH&E programs;
- Experience drafting and implementing against entity-level SH&E policies; executing within a matrix organization;
- Broad based expertise in multiple areas including analytics, safety and health, audit and change management;
- Experience to design and interrupt SH&E metrics to drive improvement;
- Ability to work collaboratively with others;
- Strong understanding of safety regulations;
- Strong coaching, conflict resolution, relationship and team building skills, and demonstrated ability to influence;
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with strong results/goal orientation;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles;
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions, and exercise judgment on sensitive/ confidential issues
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Safety, or a relevant field is required;
- A minimum of 10 years of SH&E and operations experience at progressively more senior levels within large scale highly regulated manufacturing industry is required;
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) accreditation would be an asset;
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.