Safety Specialist, Lima, OH
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
This position reports directly to the Safety, Health, and Environmental Manager.
- Maintains a presence in the field – approximately 50% of time (on equipment inspection, and coaching/mentoring employees and contractors, etc.)
- Supports the exposure based safety process as well as the Key Procedure Audit (KPA) and Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) programs
- Ensures compliance with the elements of the Nutrien Personnel and Safety Process Systems
- Ensures progress with and completion of action items associated with the Safety Process(es).
- Assists in evaluation of machinery processes and projects for safe operation.
- Interprets and assures compliance with laws, regulations, and responds to legal/technical questions from the field pertaining to safety
- Responds to employee safety suggestions and concerns
- Responsible for the compliance of safe work practices and conditions
- Actively coaches and leads safety meetings, inspections, KPA reviews, accident investigations, and staff meetings, etc.
- Performs the safety orientation of new employees and contractors
- Represents Nutrien when state and federal inspectors visit our facilities
- Recommends and develops safety policies
- Utilizes statistical analysis to improve awareness, change behavior, and drive continuous improvement in our programs and processes
- Development of confined space ventilation and rescue plans
- Participates in the Process Safety Management (PSM) change including process design reviews of new and existing equipment
- Ensures OSHA compliance training is completed annually
- Maintains a working relationship with community organizations, such as the Lima Emergency Planning Commission (LEPC) and the Allen County Emergency Management Agency (EMA)
- Keep informed of current fire and emergency response regulations, trends, and technical advances in extinguishing agents, appliances, and techniques of fire control and training
- Manage/coordinate Emergency Response Team (ERT) training and lead emergency preparedness activities to ensure regulatory compliance, department goals, and initiatives are achieved
- Conduct emergency response drills including employee Incipient and First Responder Operations fire training programs
- Respond to and directs emergency response in the plant
- Oversee the required testing and maintenance of the emergency equipment
Working knowledge of OSHA & NFPA Regulations
Qualified in NIMS 100, 200, 300, 700, & 800
Strong organizational skills
Strong communication skills
Knowledge of radiation safety requirements
Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
Associate or Bachelor Degree in the field of Health and/or Safety Science with 3+ years of experience or a combination of training and experience preferred.
Associate Safety Professional (ASP) required or must be working toward
Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. In order to ensure consideration for this role, candidates are encouraged to apply by INSERT DATE. However, this job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran