Manager Procurement - Canada Sites, Carseland, AB
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
Nutrien is building a world-class procurement function across our entire organization and operating sites. Nutrien’s Procurement Organization is a center-led/governed procurement operating model that enables a shift from a tactical procurement organization to one that is much more strategic in nature. The Procurement Organization structure is organized to (i) extract benefits from leveraging enterprise-wide spend and efficiencies associated with central and shared governance, processes, resources and infrastructure; and, (ii) continue to have the ability to execute on a geographically-dispersed basis to support the unique requirements of each of our Business Units and Sites.
The Procurement Organization will include a “Center of Excellence” team to provide global procurement support services that provides accurate data analytics and effective back-office operations to support the global procurement function, as well as a “Category Management” team to develop and drive category strategies, perform sourcing activities, negotiate and execute master agreements and manage supplier performance.
In addition, the Procurement Organization will maintain site level procurement with increased cross-site consolidation and coordination of daily support work. At the “on-site” level this will require a greater degree of specialization within the Buyer role, both by categories served and degree of technical challenge.
Job Function Overview:
The Manager Procurement – Canada Sites role, as part of the Corporate Procurement Team reporting directly to the Director Procurement – Nitrogen, will be responsible for developing and driving category strategy for the procurement of commodity and specialized goods and services in line with the Procurement Organization and Site Business Unit’s objectives. The Manager Procurement - Canada Sites oversees the Site Procurement and Warehouse Organizations, ensuring appropriate/optimal structure and talent recruitment and retention within it. This role is responsible for planning and execution of Site’s goods and services procurement and strategic cost management, including responsibility for executing Site (“local”) spend category strategy and procurement service delivery. The role will be a critical strategic partner to Site Buyers and internal customers in managing total spend while procuring quality products and services to meet company requirements.
With the guidance and support of the Director Procurement - Nitrogen, the Manager Procurement - Canada Sites will be responsible for managing and analyzing spend data, developing compelling materials for key stakeholders, and interfacing with Corporate Procurment and Site’s end users all in support of the execution of Procurement initaitives. The Manager Procurement - Canada Sites will also be responsible for monitoring and tracking contract compliance, spend, and savings for Procurement initaitives as well as engaging regularly with the Global Procurement Center of Excellence (COE) Team to utilize Procurement best practices.
This position will oversee total annual site operating and capital spend ranging from ~$50M to ~$200M, depending on operating site/nutrient
Strategy and Planning:
- Recommend targets for volume reduction, cost savings, service levels and supplier management approach at the Site level
- Recommend resource levels across procurement sourcing categories/commodities, projects and functions based on strategic plan priorities
- Present category/commodity specific strategies for approval by Director Procurement - Nitrogen. These procurement strategies will serve as a primary input into the Procurement annual budget planning and KPIs.
- Deploy and direct Site Procurement Buyers to support strategic analyses and coordinate initiatives
- Oversee category strategy execution, in areas such as:
- Manage Site’s internal customer needs (scopes of work, specifications, volumes, price points)
- Assess industry/supplier landscape by performing market research and supplier due diligence
- Manage end-to-end S2P, P2P and supplier selection process and make recommendations for Goods and Services categories and commodities
- Initiate supplier development and coordinate migration to potential new supplier together with Corporate Procurement Category Management Team and Site internal customers
- Manage on-going supplier relationship and develop criteria and processes to monitor supplier compliance and overall performance
- Monitor Site internal customer feedback and KPIs and provide feedback to Director Procurement - Nitrogen
- Communicate Procurement performance to key Site stakeholders
- Identify and report gaps to Director Procurement - Nitrogen in current process, standards, systems, tools and best practices that Procurement Support functions can support
- Manage site-level budget and track performance vs. plan based on annual plan set by the Director Procurement - Nitrogen
- Drive achievement of Site’s General Manager goals/targets as they relate to strategic cost management and supply chain optimization
Manage Site Procurement & Warehouse Teams:
- Ensure buyer/end user compliance with Nutrien’s policies, procedures and internal controls
- Coach and support the development of Site Procurement and Warehouse personnel and act as a role model to the team. Evaluate (and enhance as necessary) Nutrien’s Site Procurement talent profile.
- Guide the identification of proper and justifiable reorder points and reorder quantities to maintain optimal working capital levels to support the needs of Maintenance and Operations.
- Develop key KPI’s (goals & objectives) aligned to Corporate Procurement and Site’s goals & objectives that will measure the effectiveness of strategic spend management.
- Conduct Quarterly Business Reviews (QBR’s) with suppliers, establishing KPI’s and best practices for supplier performance (i.e. on-time delivery), cost savings, inventory optimization (lead times, on hand quantites, min/max, etc…)and other value-added services.
- Establish cross-functional teams to deliver category strategies initiatives to identify and recommend value realization opportunities from cost savings to reducing inventory holding and working capital to total cost of ownership perspective.
- Understanding of SPEP Ariba System and Material Master Data SpareFinders system, tools and processes and how they are integrated with all EAM Systems (SAP/Oracle).
Business/Operational Impact and Decisions:
- Provide procurement support on project and cross functional teams as required
- Demonstrate a strong initiative, work ethic, and dedication to constructing and executing best-in-class procurement strategies and plans
- This position will become familiar with and stay attuned to the established and continually improving S2P and P2P (SAP Ariba System) processes, tools and best practices. In addition, this role will also be asked on an ongoing basis to provide current assessments of the as-is state and input to ensure processes and tools reflect best in class procurement across all aspects of the business.
- Develop a network of contacts throughout the manufacturing sites to efficiently process/validate information. The incumbent will need to address competing interests, reluctant participants, and other barriers to participation in the supply chain – navigating many perspectives and positing thoughtful and collaborative solutions to build relationships.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills required to develop Category strategy, considering:
- Category demand forecasts
- Specification development
- Service level requirements
- Supplier and industry dynamics
- Proficient in synthesizing apparently unrelated ideas to identify the optimal solution or to develop a coherent plan or vision.
- Tools and processes will be in place to provide support; early support required from Center of Excellence Team to complete tools:
- Nutrien Procurement policy
- Category Strategy annual planning process
- Category Strategy playbook
- RFP Template
- Market Basket template
- Supplier selection decision matri
Policy, Process and Procedures:
- Have a strong understanding of Procurement Policies, Processes and Procedures and capable to implement across all levels of the Site
- Work closely with peers (Category Management Leads, COE Group, Nutrient & Corporate Leads, Site General Manager and Site’s Leadership Team to ensure the Procurement Ariba S2C and P2P tool kit addresses customer needs
- Interacting with internal customers and other functions to understand their needs for procurement of commodity and specialized goods and services
Perform additional tasks as defined by the Director Procurement
Required Industry Experience
- Minimum 6+ years relevant experience in strategic sourcing and supply chain management
- Experience with major Goods categories such as: MRO, Electrical & Instrumentation, Pump, PVF (Pipes, Valves, Fittings), etc.
- Experience with major Services categories such as Supplemental Maintenance Agreements, Construction Services, E&I Services, Scaffolding/Insulation Services, TAR Maintenance and Services, etc.
- Broad experience in supply chain, S2P and P2P processes and tools, and a more targeted experience in spend analytics, category strategy development and implementation, competitive sourcing, supplier negotiations & contract execution, supplier relationship & contract management and supplier risk management.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA/Master’s degree preferred
- Certifications in disciplines such as Procurement (SCMP/CPSM), Inventory Management (CIPS), Lean / Six Sigma, or Operational Planning preferred, but not required
- Business, Engineering, Supply Chain Management, Finance or related field
- Strategic sourcing experience and capabilities
- Spend management
- Category strategy development & implementation
- Supplier negotiations & contract execution
- Supplier relationship & contract management
- Supplier risk management
- Strong understanding of supply chain concepts including S2P, P2P and inventory management
- RFI/RFQ/RFP processes
- Negotiation techniques
- Contract content and law – terms and conditions
- Lead contract commercial negotiations with suppliers while developing a network of internal customers across manufacturing sites to gather technical input
- Engage Legal, Insurance, Treasury, EH&S and other internal departments for the negotiation and vetting of contractual terms
- Proven track record of cost reduction through implementation of category strategies and contract negotiations
- Results-driven mindset and capabilities, adept at resource utilization and prioritization, target setting, budgeting and business case development
- Excellent project management skills to manage strategy development and execution across multiple categories and site locations
- Motivated, high-energy and self-starter business mindset; proven change agent with excellent facilitation and problem-solving skills and flexibility to direct and re-direct change
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with comfort working cross-functionally to gather information and resolve conflicts. He/she must persuade, motivate and compel support for key ideas and initiatives by delivering clear, well-structured messages
- Team leadership skills capable of managing a team process to meet defined objectives
- Comprehensive background in leadership (and execution) positions in strategic procurement and supply chain disciplines
- Demonstrated experience in procurement transformation and change within an operating site setting; setting procurement/supply chain strategy in an operating site environment; driving performance; consistently producing superior results in a team-based collaborative environment; and working with dynamic, diverse, cross-functional teams
- Deep familiarity with the Microsoft office suite and other analytical software (e.g., Tableau) and the ability to learn quickly
- Strong analytical capabilities and a track record of success in a highly quantitative and analytical environment
- Clear and solid understanding of, and practical experience with, enterprise asset management systems (SAP/Oracle), spend management tools (e.g., Ariba, Analysis & Reports), data management tools and S2P systems (eProcurement)
- High degree of ethics, discretion, honesty, fairness, and sound business practices to secure and maintain Nutrien’s reputation in the market
- Provide purpose, direction and motivation to team
- Carry out Site and Company Procurement vision, strategy, policy and best practices
- Create a positive, collaborative working environment for the team
- Capable of making difficult decisions and communicating them effectively
- Travel as needed (at times internationally). Travel at times may exceed ~30% - 40%
The incumbent must have the ability to establish relationships, interact productively, and drive change among various internal stakeholders, departments and employee groups (Corporate and Site management, union/hourly employees, other site personnel, etc.). This includes working collaboratively with Corporate Procurement’s Category Management Team, COE Team peers to ensure the suite of services from the COE Group work efficiently and effectively together for the end user (e.g. ongoing communication with Nutrien Procurement Leads, Supplier Management Lead and Policies, Processes, Systems, Data, Tracking & Reporting Lead).
It is essential that this person have strong communication skills with keen insight. This person must also have ability to hone in on key issues and deliver focused proposals to address these issues in a thoughtful and credible manner across a diverse range of audiences. It will be important to be able to balance internal and external realities while achieving progress on goals and objectives and to demonstrate an ability to respect and reconcile divergent perspectives and practices across the business. The incumbent will establish and maintain credibility and trust quickly with all relevant stakeholder groups, and demonstrate thoughtful and respectful acknowledgment of varying interests at play while finding a balance in all proposed courses of action.
The applicant must demonstrate a strong initiative, work ethic, and dedication to constructing and executing best-in-class Procurement strategies and plans. This individual must be a “quick study”, able to sort through considerable data and information, comfortable with analytical thinking based on quantitative insights, and ultimately able to get to the “heart of the matter.” The Manager Procurement - Canada Sites must be able to prioritize Procurement opportunities based on a variety of factors and manage numerous in-flight initiatives at one time.
The Manager Procurement - Canada Sites will become familiar with and stay up to date with the Procurement COE tool kit. To utilize this tool kit, the Manager Procurement - Canada Sites will need to develop and maintain a deep understanding of the Business Unit’s needs. It will be essential the Manager Procurement - Canada Sites strike an effective balance between the interests of the Global Procurement Team, the Business Units, the Sites and our key suppliers. The Manager Procurement - Canada Sites will need to address competing interests, reluctant participants, and other barriers to participation in the Procurement initiatives – navigating many perspectives and positing thoughtful and collaborative solutions to build relationships and achieve common goals.
This role will have the full support and guidance from the Nutrien Director Procurement, but will have a great deal of autonomy to build the relationships and support necessary to bring the best Procurement service and support to the Business Units.
This position has a direct budget responsibility: Manage Site Procurement level budgets, including capital spend.
It is expected that the person in this role will achieve a high degree of independence while balancing highly collaborative relationships with core stakeholders including the Category Management Lead, COE Lead, Nutrient (N, P, K and Corporate) Leads, and site GMs to ensure policies and processes best serve Nutrien and the end customer. Strategic direction will be established in collaboration with peers, including other Procurement Leaders, and in particular, with this role’s direct supervisor, the Director Procurement.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.