Maintenance/Reliability Engineer – Fixed Equipment, Geismar, LA
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
Position reports to the Superintendent of Reliability in the Maintenance Department.
This position is to be filling one of the engineering roles with a gravity towards all manners of fixed equipment found in a petrochemical facility. As a secondary focus the position will also work on rotating equipment as needed so applicant will need to be well rounded. There is a heavy emphasis on building reliability structure to the site and many challenging and rewarding opportunities exist such as Mechanical Integrity gap analysis, Risk Based Inspection program implementation, deficiency mapping and reduction projects. The Maintenance/Reliability Engineer – Fixed Equipment is responsible for promoting Process Safety Management (PSM) practices, maintaining Mechanical Integrity records while supporting reducing maintenance costs and production losses. Also, this position will be required to participate on capital project teams as the technical focal point for Fixed Equipment design and associated reliability considerations for any equipment being built or purchased.
- Investigate fixed equipment problems and design modifications to improve reliability, productivity and safety. The investigations will frequently involve failure analysis to determine the root cause of equipment failures and recommend improvements in design, administrative, and/or PPM measures to reduce or eliminate failures.
- Actively participate in the site’s Mechanical Integrity and Process Safety Management program.
- Perform fitness for service evaluations per API, ASME, or applicable industry guidelines / standards including Level I evaluations per API-579.
- Perform bolted joint torque calculations and assist Planning with gasket selection(s).
- Review request for installation of leak repair devices such as bolted engineered enclosures, composite wraps, valves body injects, etc.
- Assisting with equipment repairs and working with original equipment manufacturers and outside shops for repair of stationary equipment. This may include travel to local and abroad shops for QC visits.
- Responsible for review and updating fixed equipment repair procedures.
- Performs equipment and Production history data analysis to identify and prioritize areas for reliability improvements.
- Functionally lead Inspection Group to implement and manage an API-580 Risk Based Inspection program and prioritize equipment based on likelihood and consequence of failure.
- Lead multi-discipline teams consisting of operations, engineering and maintenance personnel to investigate equipment failure analysis of fixed equipment using Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCFA) methodologies.
- Investigating new materials, methods, and equipment with the aim of reducing maintenance costs, improving reliability, improving productivity, and enhancing safety.
- Assist with Capital projects as maintenance and reliability representative to ensure proper equipment design, assign asset criticality, determine required spare parts, determine Inspection Types/Intervals, and ensure QA/QC responsibilities are met.
- Assist with safety relief device management, including reviewing specifications, failure analysis, and overhaul frequencies.
- Will also be expected to have some familiarity with rotating equipment engineering principles to fill in for maintenance rotating equipment engineer as needed or help with project work surges in the area of rotating equipment.
- Assist with budgeting and record keeping, as well as other duties, as assigned.
- Must be familiar with API 510, 570, 650, 653, 579, 580/581.
- In-depth understanding of ASME fixed equipment codes Including ASME Section I, II, V, IIIV D1, IX, B31.1, B31.3, B16.1, B16.5, B16.20, B16.21, B16.47, and WRC 107.
- 4 year BSME Engineering degree in either Chemical or Mechanical Engineering for accredited university required along with 5+ years maintenance/reliability engineering experience in a petrochemical industrial environment. Mechanical engineer is preferred with P.E. license, but not required.
- Knowledge and work experience in process safety management (PSM), Management of Change (MOC), Mechanical Integrity (MI), and have strong commitment to safety.
- Experience in Ammonia, Nitric Acid, or Urea production facilities is preferred, however, not required.
- Knowledge and understanding of PCMS inspection tracking software would be a plus.
- Must have strong, interpersonal leadership skills as required to effectively communicate complex issues across the organization.
- Must be committed to continuous improvement in safety, production, and reliability of the organization and maintain a high level of personal integrity and dedication to align with Nutrien’s Core Values to conduct business in an ethical manner.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran