Sr. Director, Environmental Management - Calgary, AB or Loveland, CO
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
Reporting to the VP SH&E (Safety, Health and Environment), the Senior Director of Environment Management is responsible for providing leadership and direction in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Nutrien environmental matters. The role is responsible for establishing the vision, strategy and execution of our environmental programs and management systems to identify and minimize environmental risks and liabilities ensuring compliance with all applicable national and international laws and regulations.
- Vision and Strategy Development – Develop clear vision and strategy for Environment Management and Remediation excellence, drive toward vision with unwavering passion, implement strategic activities in conjunction with Operations and ensure they are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Execution - Develop and directs annual organizational goals, objectives, policies and operational procedures; monitors and evaluates effectiveness, and effects changes required for continual improvement.
- Regulatory - Provide hands-on technical expertise to Nutrien on emerging environmental issues and new laws and on regulatory compliance issues including those involving contacts with outside entities such as regulatory agencies and environmental consultants. Provide overall leadership for Nutrien’s Environmental Compliance Program covering both US, Canada, as well as international regulations.
- Anticipate the potential for environmental risk and minimize the impact of new or changing environmental regulations by recommending actions to Nutrien management and managing follow-on implementation.
- Develop and maintain a reporting process that establishes and maintains metrics and targets used to measure and communicate environmental performance to US Government, State Governments and International Agencies.
- Ensure all Nutrien environmental permits for Nutrien facilities and other Nutrien obligations are up-to date and maintained properly.
- Develop and foster strong relationships with internal customers as well as regulators at all levels within government agencies to ensure the continued effectiveness of environmental programs.
- Budgeting and Finance – lead efforts throughout Environment and Remediation organization for the monthly and annual budgets, ensure we meet or exceed agreed budget goals, actively drive cost control across the team.
- Capital – review, manage, justify capital projects to plan, lead review of projects with rigor to make sure spend delivers at, or better than plan. Ensure seamless collaboration between Engineering team and the business units.
- Develops and guides an effective Environmental Audit program worldwide to ensure compliance at Nutrien facilities.
- Cultural and Organizational Development – Coach and development the organization in line with the behaviors of the Nutrien culture. Significantly improve employee engagement and empowerment. Remove silos in and between businesses and groups, develop, manage and coach your team on the Nutrien culture. Working with Human Resources, develops strategies to ensure proper succession plans and professional development are in place thus creating health for the organization as a whole. Promote a SH&E culture of commitment and performance. Effectively utilizes KPIs, performance reviews, financial statements and operational reports to track performance. Establishes effective action planning for the fostering continuous improvement.
- Liaise with General Counsel as well as the leaders of the business units to proactively support their requests and maintain Legal records as needed to meet Nutrien obligations to regulators, agencies and vested parties.
Personality and Leadership Qualities:
- Strategic. Known for being a business “thought partner” alongside a senior leadership team. Able to analyze regulatory and innovative trends that help the management team set a strategy towards environmental excellence.
- The right Sr. Director of Environmental will have a business process reengineering experience or familiarity to help operationalize and create KPI’s for the department. Will drive best practices and inspire their teams to further raise their performance.
- Proactive, responsive and fully engaged. Driven and takes personal accountability. High energy.
- Possesses the charisma and presentation skills to impress any regulators and key business partner’s during the project diligence processes.
- Can establish credibility with a seasoned team with many years in the industry. Brings the gravitas to win their respect and drive change. Strong team-builder and people-manager. Motivates their organization. A steward and cultivator of the best elements of Nutrien’s existing culture.
- Solution-oriented with demonstrated ability to collaborate and build strong relationships with key stakeholders, peers and team members.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and enjoys a fast-changing environment.
- Numerate, analytical and good at generating accurate data charts and reports for the leadership team up to the Board level.
- Direct communication and working style. Advocates and selects the best idea, not necessarily their own idea. Low on ego and apolitical.
- Collaborative, flexible and open-minded. Able to thrive in a team based environment.
- Exhibits a high degree of autonomy with a proven ability to pull disparate pieces together across the organization and ‘gets things done.’
- Self-starter and can scale mature businesses.
- Ability to travel as necessary to meet organizational objectives.
- 15+ years professional experience; minimum 10 years relevant environmental experience at a senior leadership level?
- Strong knowledge of local, state, and federal laws, ordinances, and regulations. Examples include The Clean Air Act (CAA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA), and Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA). Similar Canadian knowledge required. Strong technical expertise in the area of compliance and experience working with regulators.
- Excellent working knowledge of the environmental and political landscape and strong fundamental engineering knowledge in chemical, geological, materiel science, mechanical and electrical engineering. (Advanced qualifications in one of the above preferred).
- Ability to manage complex projects that include both internal and external stakeholders, customers and regulators in a concise, efficient manner. Proven ability to break down complex technical issues, into actionable solutions, that customers can implement.
- Strong history of dedication and follow-through to meeting the expectations and requirements of all customers; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Excellent executive leadership skills, exceptional communication, written, verbal, and interpersonal skills. Make strategic well educated decisions based upon a mixture of data analysis, experience and judgment. Based on a proven track record, is sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Effectively cope with ambiguity and change; can make appropriate business decisions in an environment that is in a state of flux; embraces change to support company goals and objectives; learns quickly, adapts to organizational changes, designs and directs compliant workable business solutions in a changing regulatory environment
- Strong experience working with both Legal Counsel and International regulators as well as US Federal, State, County and City regulators
- Adheres to and promotes an appropriate set of core values and ethical conduct consistent with all laws and regulations
- Demonstrated ability to interface and work collaboratively across internal departments building strong and cooperative working relationships.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials.
- Demonstrated strong project management skills.
- Ability to influence executives and key stakeholders on strategic decisions.
- Self-motivated and highly organized, thrives in a dynamic environment.
- Must have experience of addressing Media.
- International and domestic travel may be required.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran