Superintendent, Production Nitrogen - Geismer, LA
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
This position reports directly to the Site GM. 4 shift supervisors report directly to this position.
- Interfaces regularly with local customers to determines product needs and services
- Leads and facilitates the departmental safety and environmental efforts, programs, (i.e. observations, KPASs, safety meetings) and regulatory compliance and ensures employee understanding of these areas.
- Ensures maximum reliability of quality production output of the process units and the on-time shipment of products.
- Ensures the proper coordination of maintenance repair activities.
- Conducts performance appraisals on direct reports, and sets goals and objectives for their job performance and professional development.
- Coordinates with Manager on annual departmental budgeting, department projects & associated department
- Represents the Geismar Facility with local vendors and suppliers, various contactor groups in a manner that will support the site and promote positive community relationships.
- Accepts and promotes ownership of the area’s operating units.
- Is a resource for the Engineering departmental activities for process de-bottle-necking and process optimizations.
- Interfaces with Company Sales and Marketing personnel and plant customers for product shipment and customer complaints.
- Assist the departmental Manager in the preparation of the departmental budgets
- Ensures the ongoing training and development of the Nitrogen Maintenance Coordinator, Shift Supervisors, Nitrogen Engineer and Operating Technicians, in addition to the departments Operator Certification Program.
- Interacts and coordinates well with all levels of department personnel, other site department personnel, contactors, local regulatory officials, local community members.
- Functions as Departmental Manager in Manager’s absence.
- Ensures departmental process energy and raw material needs and alternatives are available.
- Develops system of Integration of Change and Management of Change into current production activities.
- Assist in process designs including equipment specifications, operating instructions and training, process P & ID’s, and Management of Change.
- Leads process trouble shooting efforts and advises on solutions.
- Participates on process HAZOP reviews, safety audits, process improvement teams and various other plant team projects.
- Familiar with various process optimization computer software packages for process modeling.
- Can perform process engineering calculations, i.e. energy balances, process flows, etc.Responsible for providing technical support for departmental personnel
- Possess knowledge of production systems and equipment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, organizational and planning skills, facilitation skills, computer skills and the ability to achieve results through others.
- Flexible, analytical and detailed oriented.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time.
- Willingness to work extended hours, particularly during scheduled outages.
- Willingness to participate on corporate teams and assist other locations (some travel required).
- Willingness to be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and willingness to participate in weekend and holiday coverage
- A Bachelor Science degree in Chemical Engineering from an accredited educational institution is preferred and /or 10 plus years experience in operations or related areas of Fertilizer manufacturing and/or similar industry.
- Minimum 5 years in supervision.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/vet