Manager, IT - Nitrogen & Phosphate Calgary, AB or Loveland, CO
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
Reporting to the Director, IT, Nitrogen & Phosphate, the Manager, IT, Nitrogen & Phosphate (N&P) will be responsible for providing technical and professional leadership for the Information Technology personnel and support the technology assets at six (6) nitrogen sites located in Canada and the United States. This position is responsible for reducing costs, improving quality and gross margin, and eliminating safety and environmental hazards within the scope of the role. The position requires building and maintaining trusted relationships with Plant/General Managers and their Leadership teams at nitrogen sites, to align IT and the business, align best practices across the sites, and standardize processes and procedures.
The scope of this role includes responsibility for the advancement and support of technology on the site administrative networks including end-user technology (i.e. Workstations, laptops, tablets, mobile devices, printers), infrastructure (i.e. LAN, WAN, server, storage, voice, video), desktop applications (i.e. Microsoft Office), security (camera and badge systems) and locally hosted applications. The scope also includes site support of some corporate hosted applications. The position is responsible for the local help desk function at each of the assigned nitrogen sites.
This position will be required to travel (40-60%) to assigned nitrogen sites in the US and Canada.
Provide leadership to the Site IT teams and customer stakeholder groups
- Clearly articulate the vision, direction, and the plan for the function to all stakeholders.
- Implement best practices for optimizing operating and capital expenses associated with the IT portfolio.
- Promote and facilitate communication between business and all IT teams (Corporate, other Nitrogen & Phosphate sites, and Potash sites) to influence business and IT strategies and alignment.
- Set goals for assigned team members and review in line with new operational requirements; administer the performance management process at their sites.
- Promote standardization at all technical levels.
- Short and Long-Term Planning: develop business cases for technology projects that enable future capabilities, enable business projects, and eliminate technical debt.
- Work with business stakeholders to define and update 5-year Capital Plan for each assigned site.
Responsible for the financial management of the N&P IT function across assigned sites including preparing and stewarding to an annual budget for the N&P IT function at assigned sites.
- Prepare monthly forecasts to facilitate financial decision making.
- Ensure physical assets are accounted for by maintaining an accurate inventory.
- Seek opportunities for cost reduction through coordination of consolidated purchasing across assigned sites, in collaboration with peers responsible for other Nitrogen, Phosphate, and Potash (NPK) sites.
- Vendor/Supplier Management: develop procurement documents (RFP’s, RFI’s, RFQ’s), assist with contract negotiation, and monitor the performance of vendors and suppliers.
Responsible for the quality implementation and support of nitrogen site Information Technology systems
- Ensure systems are designed, implemented, and supported in accordance with center-led IT standards.
- Ensure procurement of IT assets and services follow Nutrien procurement policies.
- Ensure procedures are in place, following industry best practices and Nutrien IT standards, for system security, efficient system operations, routine maintenance, upgrades, and enhancements.
- Ensure accurate documentation for all supported systems is current and accessible by authorized personnel.
- Interact with the end-user community to ensure business needs are being met by IT.
- Ensure support processes are implemented and followed for a 24x7 environment.
- Keep up-to-date with the emerging technological and business methods to best support needs of the sites.
Responsible for the performance of the IT personnel (employees and contractors) at assigned sites.
- Ensure site IT personnel are empowered to perform their job.
- Provide leadership, mentorship, and coaching to the site IT teams.
- Ensure the corporate processes for employee performance management are followed.
- Ensure all site IT personnel receive an annual performance review.
- Ensure all site IT personnel receive adequate performance feedback, coaching, and training.
- Ensure new hires meet the needs of the organization.
- Perform compensation administration (e.g. salary administration) for site IT personnel.
Responsible for managing risk for the N&P IT function.
- Regularly assess risk and develop risk mitigation plans for all supported technologies, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and accessibility needs of the organization are met.
- Ensure IT infrastructure supports business requirements (e.g. failover, service level expectations).
- Ensure systems have appropriate backup systems implemented, and disaster recovery procedures are documented and kept current.
- Prevent unauthorized access to systems.
- Promote Cyber Security Awareness
- Proactively assess the risk of proposed new technology assets.
- Develop and maintain a stakeholder list and communication plan to ensure the right messages to the right people in a timely manner.
- Work closely with Corporate IT, NPK IT, and site stakeholders to ensure timely and accurate communication regarding business needs and new project requests.
- Facilitate communication between NPK sites to identify shared requirements and opportunities for common solutions.
- The person in this position will have a proven history of continuous training in leadership, technology, financial management and communications. Recommended – Leadership Training, Project Management Training, Technical Certifications. Example - CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Administrator), MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer).
- Strong interpersonal skills – adept at building and maintaining strong working relationships and collaborating and communicating effectively in a business environment.
- Knowledge of the industrial plant sites, operations, and inter-dependency of departments.
- Proven ability to consistently demonstrate Nutrien’s leadership core competencies at the Team Leader level.
- Proven ability to develop consensus among diverse teams.
- Excellent facilitation skills.
- Proven experience developing goals for teams and individuals.
- Experience aligning the function with the needs of the business - developing short term plans, long term plans, business cases and proposals.
- Safety Leadership – Promote Safety first in all we do.
- Degree or diploma from a recognized university or technical school in Computer Science.
- 10 or more years of related IT experience, including a minimum of five years IT supervisory experience. Three years of experience leading geographically disbursed teams.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.