Manager, Safety & Health, Aurora, NC
Why work at Nutrien? Great question!
Safety is a core value at Nutrien. Keeping every employee safe, healthy and secure is our top priority. Nothing is more important than seeing our people go home safe at the end of every single day.
While working here you will have the opportunity to grow your career while helping us feed the future. We pride ourselves in hiring from a variety of backgrounds and truly believe that it is our differences that make us stronger so we hope you will join us.
In addition to exciting and challenging opportunities, Nutrien offers competitive salaries, great benefits and performance based incentives.
Outside of the skills and necessary qualifications, you will be committed to sustaining our safe and positive work environment while welcoming working side by side others in a diverse culture. Culture at Nutrien is the core of everything we do and all employees are respectful of diverse opinions and views.
This position reports directly to the General Manager. The Manager, Safety & Health oversees the Safety & Health department, site security and emergency response teams. There is a total of 25 employees within the Safety & Health department, including 9 Safety Specialist, PSM Engineer, Industrial Hygienist, Occupational Nurse, Supervisor Emergency & Security, and two admin
- Incumbent plans, organizes, manages, and directs health, safety, industrial hygiene, emergency response/management, insurance, works with HR Manager on Worker’s Compensations and security activities at the Aurora Division.
- Provide leadership management and direction towards the successful accomplishment of annual Aurora Division site health & safety goals. Serve on various committees and subcommittees to enhance and improve the health & Safety program at Aurora.
- Develop health, safety, industrial hygiene, and security programs to ensure improved performance in health & safety.
- Review regulatory requirements to ensure compliance with OSHNC, OSHA, MSHA, and other applicable government agency standards and provide guidance to the Aurora Division on proposed health & safety regulations. Review, maintain, and update the Aurora Phosphate Safety Manual as needed.
- Ensure enforcement, through all employees and contractors of all approved health and safety rules and procedures at the Aurora Division.
- Functions as the Primary Incident Commander at all emergencies as part of the Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan.
- Provide support to all line organizations in the areas of health, safety, industrial, hygiene, emergency response/management, insurance, Workers’ Compensation in conjunction with HR Manager, and security matters.
- Provide professional and technical support to other Nutrien facilities, through site visits and facilitating safety audits. Provide support on key procedure audits to other Nutrien facilities.
- Provide leadership, management, and direction of the site PSM program to insure compliance with OSHA standards.
- Provide support for the site Behavior Based Safety Process by attending Steering Committee and Light keeper 101 meeting and serving as a safety resource for the process.
- A complete understanding of Workers’ Compensation Laws and Program Administration. A complete understanding of health & safety laws and OSHA/MSHA regulations governing the operation of a mining and manufacturing facility.
- Past management experience in (a) industrial security, (b) emergency response-fire, medical, rescue, HAZMAT matters, (c) the OSHA Process Safety Management or Highly Hazardous Chemicals standard, (d) a fully integrated health & safety management program and (e) operational management experience with emphasis on safety & health.
- Incumbent has daily contact with employees at all levels at Aurora in order to properly and effectively administer the Health & Safety Program. Frequent contact is also required with other Nutrien facilities as a “subject matter” resource.
- Incumbent will be required to visit other Nutrien facilities to advise concerning health, safety, and other related matter. Significant interaction with other people requires a combine skill in understanding and motivating employees to accomplish plant goals.
- This position requires a BS or BA Degree in Occupational Safety or related industry Engineering Degree.
- 10 years of industrial experience in health and safety areas with supervisory/ management experience is preferred.
- A Master of Science Degree in Industrial Technology with a concentration in Occupational Safety, Safety Engineering, or Safety Management is acceptable.
- A designation as a Certified Safety Professional by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals and/ or a designation as a Certified Mine Safety Professional by the International Society of Mine Safety Professionals is preferred.
Nutrien is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all well qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of the regions where we operate. This includes recognizing the voluntary identification of status such as gender, sexual orientation, visible minority, Indigenous status, persons with disabilities, and veterans, where applicable.
If this sounds like a good match, apply now. This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran