Vice President, Talent & Organizational Development - (Calgary, Alberta, Canada / Loveland, Colorado, USA / Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada)
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 23,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President & Chief Human Resources Officer, the Vice President, Talent & Organizational Development is responsible for guiding the culture and people strategy necessary to achieve Nutrien’s purpose and enable the business strategy; and enhances Nutrien's role and reputation as the leading employer of choice in the industry. Our Talent & Organization Development team lives our values, strengthens our culture, and possesses a deep knowledge of the business and delivery of all people strategies to cultivate outstanding performance. The role will work closely with the Human Resources Business Partners on high-impact engagement activities, with a heavy focus on leadership and culture, employee experience and inclusion-related initiatives.
This position is located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada / Loveland, Colorado, USA / Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.
What you will do:
- Supports and directs Nutrien’s talent management and organization development strategies and programs, such as; talent sourcing & attraction, onboarding, leadership development, career management, succession planning, training and development, performance management, coaching, and organizational design and development
- Builds, develops and retains a high-performing team of talent management and organizational development professionals that work in service of the needs of the Human Resources Business Partners. In addition, this role provides functional enterprise oversight of the talent management life-cycle, employee experience and technical training
- Provides strategic counsel to senior leadership regarding leadership and organization development issues. Drives systemic, organization and talent strategies that are aligned with business strategy and that support organizational direction and culture. Develop and deliver periodic strategic status reports to the Nutrien Board of Directors, Human Resources and Compensation Committee, and other levels of leadership as appropriate
- Aligns the organization toward the achievement of Nutrien’s strategic people and cultural aspirations, and ensures talent strategies and supporting programs align people and culture with Nutrien’s business strategy, resulting in the realization of Nutrien’s purpose. Develops a strategic pipeline of executive succession candidates to minimize organizational risk, and ensure critical talent is sourced and prepared to lead the organization
- Provides a global leadership development program(s) in the areas of people leadership, business acumen, and developing Nutrien’s culture of care.
- Partners across the enterprise with Nutrien’s key strategic functions (Safety, Integrity, ED&I, ESG), and integrate priorities into talent strategies and programs to advance Nutrien’s culture
- Plays leadership role on HR leadership team, helping set HR strategy across Nutrien
- Advances diversity and inclusion efforts for the business. Collaborates to implement strategies to create an inclusive workplace. Approaches everything with an equity lens for design and implementation and drives an inclusive culture
- Proactively engages employees to improve working relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention. Communicates openly and frequently, keeping employees informed on resources, development opportunities and other pertinent information
What you will bring:
- Undergraduate/Bachelor’s Degree (4 year) Business, Human Resources, Organizational Behaviour, or a related field. Masters Degree preferred
- 15+ years of related experience preferably in an international and publicly traded company and with demonstrated progressive management and leadership skills including demonstrated ability to effectively lead a global team. An equivalent combination of relevant experience and higher education/training would be considered
- Has a track record of developing long term strategy and vision for talent and culture of an organization. Has experience understanding a businesses’ long-term strategy and understanding how to make the correct roadmap for talent in order for the organization to be set up to achieve its long-term goals
- Ability to create and lead a strong culture throughout an organization. A role model to the organization. Truly amplifies all values. A servant leader (put service of others before leadership). Creates and energizes positive change. Thorough self-awareness and emotional intelligence
- Is an effective mentor and coach to all – especially the leadership team. Gains trust of those they are supporting. Proactively educates. Can challenge and push others to grow, even though they do not directly manage them. Knows how to support teammates through difficult situations and how to guide leaders to be better leaders
- Excellent facilitation skills, including the ability to interact effectively with people with diverse styles; make informed decisions, find solutions, encourage and support change; and, to constructively deal with conflicts and leverage different perspectives
- Excellent approach to problem analysis and resolution at both a strategic and functional level. Leans into conflict and helps navigate a successful outcome
- Imaginative thinker able to make decisions autonomously and expeditiously; and, to translate strategy into action. Knows how to distill strategy into digestible pieces that all employees can take action on
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to translate strategy into action to key stakeholders. Is strong at speaking to every level of the organization. Is able to effectively push back or give difficult feedback in a productive manner
- Broad understanding of business issues, metrics, organizational linkages and shareholder value
- Understanding of Nutrien business and stakeholders, agriculture business, and demonstrated ability to effectively manage key stakeholders within the Industry and network of internal and external partners
- Demonstrated experience shaping strong, effective and trusted relationships and networks. Must be able to work with a variety of people in a variety of circumstances and build strong, meaningful working relationships
- Ability to identify systemic issues to promote organizational change
- Position requires the incumbent to be capable of addressing situations that may sometimes be highly emotional, and in an environment that requires prompt investigation and conclusion of matters in a confidential manner. Ability to work effectively across multiple geographies and partners
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with Nutrien’s core values
- Experience negotiating and managing contracts, vendor engagements and departmental budgets
- Ability to Travel
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary Range: $265,000-$310,000. This range is estimated for this position in Loveland, Colorado. Actual salary and benefits may differ based upon location.
We provide an attractive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision coverage, and life insurance and well as disability coverage for positions working more than 30 hours per week. In addition, we have a retirement program that encourages our employees to save for the longer term, with generous matching employer contributions. Our benefit package also demonstrates our culture of care with paid vacation, sick days, and holidays as well as paid personal and maternity/parental leaves and an Employee and Family Assistance Program. Details of the benefits package will be shared in the application process.
In addition to base pay, this role is also eligible to participate in our annual incentive plan, consistent with the terms of our plan, which provide discretionary award opportunities reflecting components such as performance of the company and the employee. Details will be discussed through the application process.
This information is provided in compliance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act and is the company's good faith and reasonable estimate of the compensation range and benefits offered for this position. The compensation offered to the successful applicant may vary based on factors including experience, skills, education, location, and other job-related reasons. Nutrien also makes internal equity a consideration in all pay decisions.
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
This job will remain posted until filled. In accordance with Nutrien policies, you will be required to undergo a background check and may be required to undergo a substance test. Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is a condition of employment and that proof of vaccination will be required, with minimal exceptions, unless prohibited by applicable law. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
To stay connected to us and for the latest job postings and news, follow us on: LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran