Engineer, Instrumentation - (Redwater, Alberta, Canada)
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 20,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future and grow your career.
Reports to the Instrumentation Supervisor, Engineering.
This position is located in Redwater, Alberta, Canada and is not available for remote work.
What you will do:
- Provide instrumentation and safety systems design, engineering, and related technologies evaluation
- Perform instrumentation and safety controls projects scope development, detailed engineering design, tests, installation, commissioning, integration, validation, and associated startup activities
- Perform instrumentation Management of Change (MOC) including the development of the Construction Work Package (CWP) and associated field job notes
- Review and support external engineering detailed design deliverables and engineering packages, studies, MRs, CWPs and associated tests and commissioning procedures
- Support instrumentation and safety systems team on troubleshooting, events analysis, and engineering solutions/proposals to operations to enhance reliability of instruments and safety systems
- Participate in test procedures, technical specifications, site-specific standards, and practices developments
- Participate in technical recommendations/solutions to other disciplines, operation, and maintenance groups
- Support technical activities and action items based on Nutrien process safety management, I&C devices mechanical integrity, Safety Instrumented System (SIS) and critical instrumentation standards
What you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Chemical Engineering; Instrumentation Technology Diploma will be considered
- Be APEGA P.Eng. or ASET C.E.T./P.Tech
- 5+ years of instrumentation, safety controls and protection design/engineering experience associated with process plants
- Proficiencies in process measurement, process data analysis, calculations and sizing, technology selection and technical evaluation
- Proficiencies in instruments detailed design, datasheets, MRs, pressure hook-up, installation details, cable engineering, material selection, piping, tubing and tube-fitting for instruments, applicable standards and codes requirements, safety protection methods, basic electrical design for instruments, MCCs and electric actuators
- Competencies in SIS, safety protection and shutdown system, PLC’s, programming modification and troubleshooting, device calibration and configuration
- Competencies in events technical analysis, technical investigation, troubleshooting and replacement/re-design tasks
- Excellent skills to learn and practice, analyze, share and present technical topics and lessons learned.
- Excellence in learning how to gain technical knowledge and skills in fast-paced environment
- Excellent skills to work collaboratively and openly with team members, other engineering disciplines and operation/maintenance groups with demonstration of technical ownership and interdependency
- Ability to work and prioritize, risk-assess on multiple concurrent tasks, and meet department goals/critical timelines demonstrating agility to provide technical support with quality work
- Knowledge of DCS platforms, programming, hardware and architecture, configuration, industrial networking, communication protocols, device electronics, SCADA and cybersecurity are considered additional assets
- Knowledge of safety controls, SIS systems, BMS, risk assessment, safety lifecycle and related standards
(ISA84 and IEC61508/61511)
- In-house design/engineering experience in operating company (especially chemical plant) is an asset
- PLC and DCS programming and SIS trainings are considered additional assets accordingly
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics
This job will remain posted until filled. In accordance with Nutrien policies, you will be required to undergo a background check and may be required to undergo a substance test. Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is a condition of employment and that proof of vaccination will be required, with minimal exceptions, unless prohibited by applicable law. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
To stay connected to us and for the latest job postings and news, follow us on: LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran